Backpacking is easy to do as long as you know the basic ideas on how to do it. I am not a travel expert and this are my personal opinion based on my personal experience. Here are some of the ideas that worked for me when I travel:
1.WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO?
The most fun but the most frustrating. Gather magazines, watch YouTube, read travel blogs, check social media like Instagram or research on line. I guarantee you, there will be millions of travel places that will show up. Here’s what I do, write down all the places that you decided that you want to go to and then mark it on a map.
You have to think what you really want like what’s the purpose of you travel? Do you want to go the beach and get drunk or go for a ski trip or climb Mt. Everest? Do you want to do volunteer, work with leisure or just for a vacation? What are the best thing that you can do and for how long?
3.TIME AND BUDGET
Time when you are traveling and time when you going to leave for. Time will have a great impact on your budget, make sure to consider both when planning. Budget means saving money and avoiding to buy unnecessary stuff. For international travel, average spend = $1500 USD depending on your destination.
- Visa – do your research. Do you need a visa on the country that you are visiting? How can you obtain it? Sometimes you have to go to the agency, go online, go to travel agency that handles visa application or apply during your arrival at the country. Whatever it is you have to find it out as soon as possible so you can get the right one for you.
- Weather – check the weather where you are going to. If you are going to one place, it is more easier cause you will already know what to bring and what to expect. For multiple destination, make sure that you are all covered from summer to cold climate.
- Research – check your bucket list of the things that you want to do, know the area really well like tours or transportation, learn the basic useful languages and learn the culture for safety benefits – the last thing you want to think about is that you are having fun and ended up getting arrested in Dubai for wearing shorts and shirt for revealing to much. Other countries have various different rules and perspective – this probably can come in handy before you go. You can ask your local travel agency as well for tips.
- Itinerary – plan your trip from the day you arrived at your destination and until the day you leave include the cost for tours, transportation times and how far from point A to point B.
- Packing – what do you need to purchase for your trip? Do you need a suitable backpack, clothes, toiletries or shoes? Avoid over packing like the things you don’t need.
- Money – talk to your travel agency if what the best way to carry around money for your trip. It could be a traveler’s check or traveler’s credit card or buy their local currency before leaving. If you bring your debit or credit card, atm will charge you for exchange rate and withdrawal fees which can be expensive.
- Travel Insurance – is a good travel investment. They cover accident sickness medical expenses, trip interruption, delay or cancellation, lost or delay baggage and emergency evacuations.
5. BOOK A FLIGHT
The earlier the better. Just make sure that you are flexible with the dates and how many days you will stay for a certain destination. Signup for newsletter, deals and promos in airline website or airline engines for better deals.
It is really good to book your accommodation in the country that you are going to and make sure that the place you are staying is a safe place.You can add this up when you purchase your ticket online or you can check other hotel search engines for better deals.
And now you are all set for your backpacking travel adventure.